Laura over at smash your t.v. and have adventures has started doing weekly lists. She describes it as her “personal weekly meditation practice in which I list ten simple, beautiful things in my life”. I loved the idea and decided to do a similar list.
- Wine – Over the last few years I have really grown to love wine. I have several people in my life (friends, family and a local wine bar) who have shared their affection with me and it has been very helpful. I no longer feel intimidated when looking for a good bottle. I tend to prefer a Chianti or an Argentine Malbec.
- Tea – I worked with an older man from China a few years ago. He introduced to me the joy of loose leaf teas. Now I have a minimum of one cup of tea a day. Usually green or white teas.
- Phone Headset – Now that I don’t have a smart phone, the headset has become much more important to me. I went through several inexpensive models before breaking down and buying an expensive one. I would highly recommend spending the extra money to everyone. I use a Plantronics Discovery 975.
- Music – Nothing moves my emotions like music. I am constantly searching out new music. But have favorites that I listen to every day.
- Quotes – The profound words that people say, inspire me. I collect them.
- Daily Phone Conversation with a Close Friend – Its the perfect way to end my day. She makes me laugh, cry and I sleep better after hearing her voice.
- Gym Time – This is where I destroy my stress. Who knew that lifting lead could calm the mind.
- Chocolate – Do I really have to explain this one? Good chocolate makes me happy!
- Movies – I love the alternate reality that a movie can take you to.
- Cooking – I have to admit I am not super comfortable in the kitchen. Hell I recently set the smoke detectors off when I burned some garlic toast! But food is important in my life. I don’t like to depend on others to make me happy. Sometimes the smell and taste of a wonderful meal that I made myself, is more rewarding than going out to eat.
I’ll end this post with a quote and a question:
Happiness is like a butterfly. The more you chase it, the more it will elude you. But if you turn your attention to other things, it comes softly and sits on your shoulder. – Henry David Thoreau
What makes you happy?